Thursday,
July 10, 2014
Search


Advanced Search
Search Sponsored


History of the Daily Record
Kids' Corner
Local news
Local sports
Obituaries
Advertising Opportunities
Calendar
Menus
Dotphoto
Link Directory
Announcements
About Us
Contact us
Home
Feedback
home : history of the daily record

In the last 166 years Lawrenceville has had it's share of newspapers. In 1847 John F. Buntin established the "Star Spangled Banner" as a weekly publication.

Shortly after Buntin began the "Star Spangled Banner" he changed the name to the "American Banner." He moved his plant to Olney, then Russellville & finally back to Lawrenceville where he changed the name again, to "Lawrenceville Banner."

In 1858, the paper was purchased by H.C.McCleave & D.L. Brewer. They changed the name to the "Western Globe" & the newspaper became a Democratic organ.

Sometime later, Buntin regained possession of the paper, when it became the Lawrence County Globe & its' politics changed to Republican.

In Mach 1873, Major Daniel L. Gold established the "Rural Republican." Miss Mary Buntin purchased the paper in 1875 & continued publication until 1880 when it was bought by Samuel B. Day.

Day later sold the paper to E.S.Kingsbury & H.B. Andrews who changed the name to the "Lawrenceville Republican." After running the paper for a few years they sold it to J.B. Stout.

Stout still owned the business in 1910, but records are sparse until 1929 when George C. Armstrong purchased the "Lawrenceville Republican." Up until now the paper had been a weekly publication. Armstrong named the paper "The Daily Record" & it became a daily publication. The strong Republican image was retained by Armstrong.

At that time The Daily Record was located on north 11th Street in a building that housed all the latest newspaper printing equipment. The skillful printers also produced commercial printing for the area: letterheads, envelopes, programs & all types of business forms.

Following the death of George Armstrong (who also served as editor) his daughter, Winifred & son, Chandler carried on the business of printing Lawrence County's only daily newspaper. Poor health forced the retirement of Chandler & Winifred was left to continue the family business.

Around 2:30 am June 30, 1965, fire engulfed the Daily Record printing plant, destroying the building & everything inside it. The July 1, 1965 edition was printed by the Mt. Carmel Republican Register. The Daily Record business office was set up in a building on north 12th St.

In January, 1967 Winifred Armstrong sold the Daily Record to Kent V. Lewis, owner & publisher of the Robinson Daily News. Calvin Reynolds, a long-time employee of the Record, was then placed in full charge of the publication as managing editor. The new owner declared it's political status as"nonpartisan."

*** An organ is defined as a newspaper, magazine or other means of communication for distribution of information, thoughts or opinions on behalf of a particular organization, political party, special interest group, etc. The organ is known as a "mouthpiece" for the organization it represents.

Usually the head of the "party" is appointed editor & they put forth their views in a featured column known as an editorial.***


WXPort

 Kid Safe Search
Google


Software © 1998-2014 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved